10 November 2008

This is our moment.

I've spent the entire week trying to thing about how to concisely state my feelings about the historical election that took place.

I just keep coming up empty.

I wish the internet were a little more personal. How do you describe that tingling feeling at the end of your nose when you're about to cry tears of overwhelming joy? That's how I feel when I think about the election.

I've been a news junkie since noon on November 4th. I have eaten up every story that The New York Times has written, looked through all the pictures posted on the campaign's Flickr account. I cannot get enough.

I feel like I have hope. I remember learning about Martin Luther King, Jr., about Rosa Parks, about John F. Kennedy, about all those momentous figures in the 1960s and being so envious about being alive in a time that was so rich in progress and history. I never thought I would be so lucky as to witness something so amazing, but now...now I can sit in my rocking chair 40 years from now and tell my grandchildren about the night that America elected the first African-American president, the president who gave us all hope, the president who brought us real change.

It's a great time to be witnessing history.

No comments: