21 September 2008

Upgrade.

It's almost two in the afternoon. Leet is still asleep, Badcat is somewhere where I can't see her (being bad no doubt), and so it is just me, in my brightly lit living room with just the hum of the laptop cooler to keep me company.

It's really nice.

I don't think I really appreciated how much of an impact a person's environment can have on their well-being until we moved 3 weeks ago. This place is, by far, the nicest place I have ever lived since fleeing the nest. And, especially when you compare it to the giant mold spore that we lived in before here, it's really something amazing.

The walls are all one color, sheetrock and texture, the windows are clean and new, the floors are covered with real carpet and linoleum, not remnants or paint. There is no crumbling plaster, with smears of weird paint or spackle, no mold on the decaying windowsills, no rust in the ancient tub-converted-to-shower...this is an honest to goodness real place for people to live.

I've become slightly anal about cleaning since we've moved in. Leet gets a major discount (something like cost + 10%) on all SC Johnson products through work, so I have every Scrubbing Bubble gadget you've ever lusted over on TV, some awesome Pledge products, plus a staggering amount of Method wipes, Greenworks, and other ecofriendly cleaners. My Swiffer has seen more action in the last 3 weeks than it saw the entire time we lived in the mold-hole.

So, I think I'm going to sit on my real couches in my real living room, or maybe have lunch at the table in my real dining room, while I do some laundry in my real washer and dryer (the kind that doesn't take quarters...for real) and run the dishwasher (and that doesn't mean handing Leet the scrubbrush). It's nice living like real people.

No comments: